College
By the time I went to college, Denise and I would message each other every evening, continuing to create our Serendipity world. It was huge, spanning 20 plus stories, all written in script form. That was the first time I had learned character speech and I had become really good at it. I could tell a story through characters, not through descriptions.
I was still very hesitant with my writing, as I wasn't as good as Denise. Her stories were filled to the brim with descriptive language, fantastic story telling, and wonderful dialogue. She at one point wanted to turn our script form stories into actual ones, filling in the gaps with descriptions. I tried at first, really did but I did not have the capability at the time to really do it. My parts looked felt like child's play compared to hers. We stopped that and just kept the script form.
While writing with Denise, I was reading fanfiction on a site called Fanfiction.net. I couldn't get enough of the stuff. Between classes and video games, I was stuck at my computer reading fanfiction. There were funny ones, serious ones, disturbing ones, and ones that just didn't make any sense. Still, I read it all.
I don't remember when I got the courage to write my first publishable fnafiction but I did it. It was a two chapter story using characters from a little known manga/Anime called Candidate Goddess. It was a short mecha Anime with good characters and a semi-good plot (hated the abstract ending though). I admit, my first fanfiction was of the um... "spicy" kind. I never really thought to write something like that but as I write, I allow the story to take control (more on that later). By the time I was finished, I read it back and blushed. I couldn't believe I wrote something like that but I reminded myself that I was an adult.
I posted that thing on Fanfiction.net, under the author name of Crystillineyuy.
It blew UP. This was in the learly 2000s, so blowing up meant pennies compared to what it is today.
I was shocked. People LOVED it, actually LOVED it. I got so much praise over that little story it literally blew my mind. It took me, I think a month or two, to really get over the fact that there were people that liked my brand of story telling.
Needless to say, I starting writing more.
Comments
Post a Comment